Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Books

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest has imparted upon me another hero to be added to my pantheon of greats- Randle McMurphy. That brawling character embodies the best and worst in men, but in the end, the good wins out in a triumph when the psychos in the ward realize that Mack does actually give two shits about them, and that they themselves would rather die standing up then live kneeling down, just as he would. A beautiful thing that Kesey created... I should have read it years ago.

Forever by Pete Hamill is an intense story that I am about a third of the way through. Hamill is amongst my favorite writers of all time- if you are bored, pick up A Drinking Life, which is still the only autobiography I've ever read that's worth a shit. This story is full of turns... we'll see how it ends up. 600 goddamn pages... thank God work is slow.

No comments: